Monday, January 25, 2010

Thoughts on Aging

It's become clear to me over the past week or so that I've put no thought into considering a wine's age. As I've read more about Cabernets and tannins and the preserving qualities of oak, I realize that the decision of when to drink a wine is, sometimes, absolutely crucial. It can make the difference between an unripe blast of green or a flavorful, delicate experience. This is especially true for wines from certain countries (France and the United States, for two) that release their wines when they're ready to be aged rather than when they are aged.

In Spain, for example, Gran Reserva wine--good wine--is often released when it's ready to drink. This means that wineries hold onto their vintages until just the right moment, and then send them off to be uncorked and consumed. They take care of the timing for you. Yet it may be necessary to stash and hide a really great Bordeaux or a brilliant Russian River Valley Cabernet so it can let those intense tannins break down and fall away. Otherwise, it's like eating a cupcake without removing the foil.

This all brings to mind that Patrice Rion that Jon brought for the first tasting. I think we may have had it too young. It was a 2002, yet it felt a little green to me. It was a little angular. It's hard to remember tastes three weeks old, but I think I'm right about this.

I'm going to let some of my great bottles lie. I've got some good ones that will take years to open up. It's nice to know they're cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment