Thursday, February 11, 2010

Side-Taste: Mettler's Cabernet Sauvignon

Last night, Tracy had a mid-evening craving for a sip of something delicious. I pulled out a bottle of Mettler Family Vineyards's 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon ($25), and I realized after a quick taste that I had to make a little sketch of this wine.

The reason? I had a really distinct flavor experience: woodsmoke. Try a mouthful and notice how clearly this single note rings out at the top of the palate. What is this "woodsmoke"? I'm not sure, but I'm trying to name this very distinct, very clear flavor, and I think it's the taste of a burning log. A hardwood. Not the dense, ashy, suffocating part of woodsmoke, but the delicate residue part. The October night smell. I could also rightly say this is the scent of a hard smoked salami, something smokey, meaty, a little fatty.

What a great flavor! 

I also really like how this rustic smokiness asserts itself against the backdrop of the wine's lighter, more delicate texture. It's very nicely balanced, displaying many ripe berry fruit flavors and a crisp acidity. That's what makes this smokiness all the more welcome.

At $25, it's not a cheap option for dinner, but this would go so very well with red meat, especially a porterhouse steak. I don't eat meat (except for occasional pieces of fish), but in the interests of objectivity, I admit that this Cabernet would pair well with it. Or even a nice blue cheese. Or just on its own in a Burgundy glass because Tracy wanted a taste of something sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment